"We are all wanderers on this earth...our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams." ~ Gypsy proverb

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Children see magic because they look for it." ~ Christopher Moore

There are dragons in our midst. Fairies, trolls, elves, unicorns, and especially vampires are lurking around us. I should be so lucky to have such company...

I admit, my imagination muscle for magical things has atrophied quite a bit over the past 30 years. Reading has filled some of that void. Books such as A Wrinkle in Time, Lord of the Rings, Interview with a Vampire, the Historian, the Harry Potter Series, and yes, even the Twilight series has provided a thin lifeline throughout these years.

But now I have a new source for magical thinking, my daughter Maya. Stories are her world and she is really really good at it. Not just because she can tell stories, but because she completely immerses herself in it. Her passion for anything unreal is strong, pervasive and wonderful.

I will be the first to tell you that keeping up with her passion and her world is very difficult, if not exhausting. Adulthood has a way of making me think there is something better I should be doing. But, as I continue to grow up, I realize there is nothing better I can be doing than being with my daughter and all her magical friends. More than what I can ever read or see in any movie, this is as real as it gets...



"My nightly craft is winged in white, a dragon of night dark sea. Swift born, dream bound and rudderless, her captain and crew are me. We've sailed a hundred sleeping tides where no seaman's ever been. And only my white-winged craft and I know the wonders we have seen." 
— Anne McCaffrey (Dragonsong)

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
~ George Bernard Shaw