"We are all wanderers on this earth...our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams." ~ Gypsy proverb

Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Develop a passion for learning, if you do, you will never cease to grow." ~ Anthony J. D'Angelo

I never wanted to learn to sew a button.  From the time I was about 10 to when I moved out of the house to go to college, my mom tried to teach me to sew. I had no interest.  With no recollection for what I was interested in at the time, I am resigned to believe that whatever it was, it must have been important. Yet I feel I may have neglected learning something deeper than just a few domestic skills. Perhaps I feel I have neglected to learn the essence of being self-sustaining, in its deepest, truest sense.

So with enthusiasm, despite less nimble fingers and early aging eyesight, my new passion for handmade and determination to learn to sew, crochet, cook (better), garden, and just plain create, has never, ever, been stronger.  I feel an indispensable responsibility to not only learn these things for myself, but to share them with the kids.  I would hope that we all find the profound satisfaction and joy of creating something of use for ourselves or someone else and to not just be a consumer of all things.  
Monticello's garden--my dream garden...
Gorgeous broccoli...



No comments:

Post a Comment

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
~ George Bernard Shaw