Tuesday, April 19, 2011
I am that mom
• I am that mom who sometimes says "yes" to dessert before dinner because sometimes it just tastes better that way :).
• I am that mom who slips on bedtimes because cuddling and listening to Harry Potter together is just too sweet, fun, and exciting to turn off any sooner.
• I am that mom that doesn't discipline her children (insert gasp here), because I don't see a need for it anymore. Because when you replace control with compassion, you see that every behavior, every action, every tantrum, is their way of trying to tell me something. Because kids don't have the words we do. But if I wait, if I watch, and if I listen, everything I need to know, is there.
• I am that mom that will give every child, yours or mine, the time of day, even if they are interrupting an "adult" conversation, because what they have to say is just as important to me as what anyone else has to say.
• I am that mom that will drive her children hours, or fly across country to visit a good friend, because I know the value of a good friend, and good friends are hard to find.
• I am that mom who will sometimes let her kids watch a whole series on Netflix in 2 or 3 days, because I know what it feels like to fall in love with a great story and not be able to stop until you know the ending.
• I am that mom that will choose to be late for an appointment, to spend the time looking for that one special toy my child needs to bring, because I know what it feels like to lose something and not have something that I need to have.
• I am that mom who will try to stop herself before complaining about her children, because if I am complaining, it's usually not about them at all, it's about me. It means that my own needs haven't been met and that is my problem, not theirs.
• I am that mom that believes in giving with no strings attached. I give because it's something I want to do for them. I don't expect special conditions or eternal gratitude. A thank you would be nice, but I won't hold it against them if they forget. Because sometimes in the excitement of things, we all forget.
• I am that mom who will spontaneously agree to go to Sea World, or the beach, or ice cream, or the bouncehouse, or the zoo, because sometimes following the whims of a child is the most fun and amazing thing you can do.
• I am that mom that will let her kids spend all their money, even when we know saving is important, because in the end, it is still their money. And, because sometimes we have to lose things before we understand their real value.
• I am that mom that will stay with her child every night until she falls asleep to help her feel safe, because when she tells me that she needs me, I want her to know that I will always be there.
• I am that mom that makes mistakes all the time, and sometimes forgets to let go. I am also that mom that apologizes to her kids for those mistakes, because it's one of the most honest and freeing thing a mom can do, for herself and her children.
This post was originally inspired by Ronnie, then re-inspired by Jeff's latest post. Thank you Melissa, who brought me back there. You helped remind me that I have always wanted to write that I am that mom.
Please click the banner to visit other "I'm That Mom" entries :).
I am also linking with: