"We are all wanderers on this earth...our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams." ~ Gypsy proverb

Friday, May 18, 2012

Lessons from a rose...

Roses are blooming all around me. Our front walkway is lined with them--all red rose bushes except one.  I have never had rose bushes before, so to watch and anticipate their beautiful, budding eruptions has brought me so much pleasure this spring.

The top rose was clipped by Hubs for me on Mother's day from our one white rose bush. I admit I was not happy at first. I could have loved it just the same in it's un-amputated state. Gracefully though, this rose has continued to bloom to it's full potential on my dining table.  Seeing it's undisturbed resilience and eager persistence, despite it's destiny of impermanence, I am reminded of how magnificent we all can be. Impermanence is a gift, not a fate.

“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure — these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”
~ Steve Jobs

Hubs thought that quote was a bit morbid (see how talking about death scares us! love ya babe),
so I added this one:

"We are trying to find out if there is, or is not, a permanent state, not what we would like, but the actual fact, the truth of the matter. Everything about us, within as well as without -our relationships, our thoughts, our feelings- is impermanent, in a constant state of flux. Being aware of this, the mind craves permanency, a perpetual state of peace, of love, of goodness, a security that neither time nor events can destroy; therefore it creates the soul, the Atman, and the visions of a permanent paradise. But this permanency is born of impermanency, and so it has within it the seeds of the impermanent. There is only one fact: impermanence."
~J. Krishnamurti, The Book of Life

Keeping it real with Monica...

~Thorns~

Dogs walking me instead of me walking dogs

unexpected expenses

the reality of exchange rates and conversion fees from dollars to euros

The disappointing combination of dark chocolate and lavender---blecht..

problems with skype on my computer--aagggh!

the tiresome task of pricing, moving, organizing for the garage sale

posting late because of above said thorn...

~Roses~

Piece, Love, and Chocolate and all the other chocolates I tried!!

hiking, hiking, hiking

new friendships

this amazing documentary

the anticipated purging of "stuff" at tomorrow's garage sale!!

You, my magnificent friends

Enjoy your weekend in all its impermanence!!

xoxo




9 comments:

  1. I too hate the chocolate lavender... tastes like my grandmother's bathroom. happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time with lavender myself. It's so romantic sounding that I think I am supposed to like it more than I do. I have that doc on my Netflix list. Happy Weekend and all the best for your sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love roses -- even with thorns! Wish I had some in my yard here in Arizona. Your yard sale sounds fun. Hope you sell a lot. Wish I could come. I love yard sales. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That quote by Steve Jobs...it also made me think of birthing a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a hard time liking lavender. We dvr'd that doc. when it came on and it is was the catalysis in my hubs journey to Buddhism, we've got it locked in and watch it regularly.
    It's a good things roses are so beautiful, makes the thorns not so bad :)Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay to garage sales and chocolate! lol

    ever seen the dog whisperer? man, he always gets them to walk without pulling and no matter how many times i watched him i couldn't get our previous dogs to do the same.

    blech to lavender in food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah to that rose, it may be controlling my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't really like lavender, either...although i've tried to like it many times...thought of eating it makes me squeam. :)

    good on you for organizing a garage sale....i absolutely lack the patience for the details you mentioned...

    have a gorgeous weekend!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. psst (I received your package squee!). Garage sales are a lot of work and I admire anyone who is tagging all the items and getting ready!!

    ReplyDelete

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
~ George Bernard Shaw