"We are all wanderers on this earth...our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams." ~ Gypsy proverb

Monday, October 4, 2010

Wonderment

 Children do that. They wander and wonder most of their childhood. They explore, ask questions, and discover. For them, life is a time of constant renewal, constant growth, and exciting possibilities. I remember. I remember when the most important thing to do was to climb in that dirt hill beside our house and make race car tracks, or to discover a new part of the woods behind us.  I remember fondly, and wistfully, and ponder how and when all that changed.


Many call it "real life" or the "real world", as if it's some requirement of adulthood to have to stop dreaming and stop wondering. To "grow up" meant to accept that life is more about drudgery, meeting "necessary" requirements  and have-to's. Life becomes more about making ends meet, paying bills, meeting deadlines, building a career, going through the motions... School, school, school! Then, work work work!!  To be idle is to be lazy, dead or uninspired!! Bah I say.


When I watch my children, they look far from idle to me. They look far from lazy or uninspired. They look alive, they look happy, and they look free.


At this moment, I hear all the voices of my past, present and future--screaming to me again about "real" life--how its full of pain, conflict, requirement, disappointment, necessity, and hard work. I deny none of that.  In fact, I embrace it, as it's all a part of renewal, change and growth. There is none without it.


This blog is about rediscovering the power of wonderment as we deal with the curveballs that "real life" has to offer. I want to rediscover and explore a meaningful life with my family, through fresh and unfiltered eyes. It is about our family's journey from a life of just being alive, to a life of feeling alive.


We are unschoolers and life learners, all four of us, and this is our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
~ George Bernard Shaw