"We are all wanderers on this earth...our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams." ~ Gypsy proverb

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wanderment

 "Wandering re-establishes the original harmony that once existed between man and the universe." ~ Anatole France

So often have I equated wandering with wasting time. After all, I am a person of purpose, with responsibilities and obligations. I have a house to run, kids to feed, things that I have to do or or or--crap happens! So, usually, I don't go anywhere I don't have to. 

Wandering is saved for vacations, whenever they can happen. But why? Why do I have to save the pleasure of doing nothing but meandering, or having no purpose, or mission or goal, for some observed time in the future? I am not talking long excursions from responsibilities, which isn't likely anyway. I am talking brief moments of delight and discovery, everyday. What if I had moments of wandering everyday and what if it doesn't have to include the word "escape". What if I don't have to separate wanderment from responsibility? What if I viewed things as never wasting time and only opportunities to just be present with my surroundings.  I am beginning to learn that for me, wandering is just as much a state of mind as it a physical state of roaming.

For kids, it happens wherever they are. They wander to discover something new, something different, something not new but in a different way. I love that they place no judgment on the time they spend or how they spend it.  In fact, adults are super quick to dispense that for them. Yes. They are kids and don't have adult responsibilities. But they aren't suppose to.  I am an adult and I have adult responsibilities and I want nothing more than to be able to wander and roam free.  I don't mean "escape". I have no desire to escape. Escape implies that I am trying to run away from something unpleasant. No, I want to wander. I want to rediscover that ability to just roam without judgment or pressure of time. Lucky for me, I have the greatest teachers living with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
~ George Bernard Shaw